Science Content Standards:
Lessons Standards Search by Grade and Subject
Standards and Framework
California Content Standards
Standards Grades K-12 - Science -PDF Format
Grade 3: 1d; 2b,c,d
Grade 4: 1g
Grade 7: 6a,b,e,f,g
Grade 9: 4f
Background: This lesson is designed to be an introduction
to the properties of light. Students will learn about the electromagnetic
spectrum, parts of a wave, and light behavior. Activities and additional
information should supplement this lesson so that students can obtain a
greater understanding. I have included recommended demonstrations.
1. Light spectrum with prisms
2. Make a microscope lens (paper clip, water,
3. Refraction with pencil and/or ruler in glass
Refraction with penny in glass of
Data collection & interpretation
Effective use of Internet resources
Create a student activity sheet to check for completion
of activity and understanding.
1. Encourage students to visit some of the "Extras"
sites included at the end of the lesson
2. Allow students to perform some of the demonstrations
and provide explanations as to why the demonstrated phenomena occur.