|The Moon and Tides - Student Activity Sheet|
Name Date Class
PART A: DEFINITIONS AND DRAWINGS
1. Neap Tides -
2. Spring Tides -
3. Waning -
4. Waxing -
5. Gibbous -
6. Crescent -
7. Names and Drawings of 8 Moon PhasesPART B: MOON PHASES INTERACTIVEFULL MOON NEW MOON
8. Date: Moon Phase:
PART C: TIDES
10. Observe the heights of the tides. The higher the number, the higher the tide. The lower the number the lower
the tide. Negative numbers indicate really low tides! Are the tides measured in feet or meters? (Circle one)
11. Go to "Prediction Options." Change "number of lines" to 30. Change "length of time to display" to 4 weeks.
Click on "Make a New Prediction."
12. Observe the heights of the tides. Notice that now there are more days. Record the dates and heights of the 3
Record the dates and heights of the 3 lowest tides.
Take notice of the dates of any of the high and low tides that occur near one another.
13. Return to "Prediction Options." Change "display type" to Graphic Plot. Change the "pixels" to 640 X 320.
Click on "Make a New Prediction." When the graph appears notice a horizontal "hourglass" shape.
14. Print out the graph (if possible) and return to the Student Page.