IN SEARCH OF THE EMPEROR PENGUIN
OBJECTIVE: For the student to gain an understanding of the Emperor Penguin. The student will research selected internet links to provide information about the habitat, reproduction, and survival of the Emperor Penguin.
Created by: Robin Fontaine
Diocese of Orange
RESOURCES NEEDED: Internet capable computer
WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE THE EMPEROR PENGUINS ?
Your mission is to find the emperor Penguins and research them.
Link on to the following web site to figure out where you will be going.
1. WHAT CONTINENT WILL YOU BE TRAVELING TO? __________________________________
Now you know where you are going so let's get packed up.
View the following web sites to find out the current temperature and what you should pack.
2. WHAT IS THE CURRENT TEMPERATURE OF THIS CONTINENT? _______________________
3. LIST AT LEAST FIVE ARTICLES OF CLOTHING YOU WILL NEED TO PACK?
4 WHAT ARE THE NAMES OF BOOTS, FROM L.L. BEAN, THAT ARE RECOMMENDED?
5. WHAT IS LAYERING? ______________________________________________________
6. WHAT ARE THE THREE ESSENTIAL LAYERS?
Now you are ready to go. You will be traveling by ship. It is a long trip but you are almost there. Let's look at what you can see from on the deck of your ship.
You now disembark your ship. You begin your search for the Emperor Penguin. On your journey you pass many other animals, but you still do not see the Emperor Penguins.
7. WHAT ANIMALS DO YOU SEE? (link on to the following web site to find out)
List four animals that you spot on your search for the penguins.
You now spot your penguins. What a sight!!!
Link on to the following web site to find the answers to the following questions.
8. HOW BIG DO THE EMPEROR PENGUINS GET? _____________________________________
9. WHAT DO THEY EAT? __________________________________________________________
10. WHAT SEASON DOES BREEDING TAKE PLACE? ___________________________________
You see that the penguins are heading to their breeding grounds. Once there, the female penguin will lay one egg.
Link on to the following web site to find the answers to these questions.
11. WHAT DOES THE FEMALE DO WITH THE EGG ONCE IT IS LAID? ___________________
12. HOW LONG DOES THE FEMALE STAY AWAY AFTER SHE LAYS HER EGG? ___________
13. WHAT DO EMPEROR PENGUINS FEED ON? ________________________________________
14. HOW DEEP CAN THE EMPEROR PENGUIN DIVE? ___________________________________
You stay until January and see the chick begin to fend for themselves. Your mother is starting to miss you and sends a helicopter to get you. Your mission has been a success. What a wonderful experience!!
A few Internet Resources:
Sheppard's Science Resources
Sheppard's Useful Links
Created August 6, 1999
Last Revised August 9, 2000
Suggested Grade Level: 3rd and 4th
Science Content Standards:
California Life Sciences grade 3 ----- #3a and b.
California Life Sciences grade 4 ------#3b
S.C.O.R.E. Lessons Standards grade 3 -----#3a, b, and d
S.C.O.R.E. Lessons Standards grade 4 -----#3b
S.C.O.R.E. Lessons Standards Search by Grade and Subject
S.C.O.R.E. Standards and Framework
California Content Standards Grades K-12
California Content Standards Grades K-12 - Science -PDF Format
The student and teacher must have basic computer and Internet skills. The student must be able to read and answer questions about a specified topic.
Interpret data, compiling data, make inferences, computer literacy, effective use of Internet resources, using higher level thinking skills, and cross circular learning (Lang. Arts).
Student worksheet, teacher evaluation, presentation on topic specified by the teacher.
Have students research penguins, other than the Emperor, on the Internet and give a presentation to the class.
Some possible sites to find penguin information would be: