To explore the seismic activity of the earth through Internet websites with follow-up activities:
In this lesson you will learn many things including how an earthquake is measured and the latest "earthshaking news" around the planet!
Latest seismic activity for Los Angeles and Orange County - Also contains other USGS links
Computer connected to internet, materials needed for experiments, paper pencil.
Explore the links below and do the activities that follow
Movie -Click here to watch Earth Structure
Cool Earthquake Facts
Today in Earthquake History
Plate Tectonics Map
World Earthquake Report
Did You Feel It?
Earthquakes Effects and Experiences
World Data Center For Seismology
1. Do the word search on Earthquake terms.
2. Make a list of 3 of the most recent earthquakes that you have found in the world.
Locate the areas on the map.
3. Take a tour of the Earthquake Exhibit
4. Go to Plate Tectonics. Study the three types of shifting and sliding and be able to demonstrate.
5. Create a model . See model.
6. Do the experiment with Plate Tectonics.
7. Find out how plate movements have affected the coast of California in the Tectonic Timeline.
Created August 16, 2001
Last Revised September 30, 2001
Suggested Grade Level: 9-12
Science Content Standards: Grades 9-12
Dynamic Earth Processes
3. Plate tectonics operating over geologic time has changed the patterns of land, sea, and mountains on the Earth's surface.
As the basis for understanding this concept, students know:
a. features of the ocean floor (magnetic patterns, age, and sea floor topography) provide evidence for plate tectonics.
b. the principal structures that form at the three different kinds of plate boundaries.
d. why and how earthquakes occur, and the scales used to measure their intensity and magnitude.
S.C.O.R.E. Lessons Standards Search by Grade and Subject
S.C.O.R.E. Standards and Framework
California Content Standards Grades K-12
California Content Standards Grades K-12 - Science - PDF Format
Students need a basic background in computer literacy, some internet experience, lab procedures, cooperative team ( supplies, clean-up) and a basic understanding of geology.
Interpreting data, making inferences, forming hypotheses, making prediction.
Presentations -Power Point or Hyperstudio.
Effective use of Internet resources.
Presentations -Power Point or Hyperstudio, student created web page, worksheet, peer evaluation, rubric
Vocabulary quiz-See Earthquake Glossary ,illustrate and explain Plate Tectonics using the lesson in this hyperlink.
Presentations -Power Point or Hyperstudio, student created web page.
See Virtual Field Trips and World Records for more activities